Due to their long sausage bodies and short little legs dachshunds are prone to back injuries. It is advised to keep jumping to a minimum – despite the fact that they look adorable when they do jump!
While we are aware of the health risks associated with our furry friends, we do believe that the following things will help our sausages stay fit and healthy for a long time so they get to enjoy the occasional jump:
1. Regular exercise to build some muscles – a 20-30 min walk a day OR a dog park visit OR a ball game in the backyard (if only the ball got returned!)
2. Doggy ramps/stairs – We own these
3. High-quality dog food that is high in protein – ours get 1 cup per day
4. Marrow or brisket bones – These nourish your dogs’ joints, tendons and bone (1 per week)
5. A healthy attitude and belief system towards your dogs’ health – While it is important to be aware of and avoid any potential health risks/damage, I believe it is equally important to trust that they will be ok
6. Pet insurance in case something does go wrong.